- University of Colombia, Chemical Engineering, B.S. 1997
- Virginia Polytech Institute State University, Chemical Engineering, Visiting Scholar 2000-2003
- University of Santander, Colombia, Chemical Engineering, Ph.D. 2004
- National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology, Japan, Postdoc Researcher 2004-2008
- Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, Postdoc Fellow 2008-2009
- The University of Kansas, Research Associate 2009-2013
- Archer Daniels Midland Company, Research Scientist 2013-2014
Our group focuses on the development of catalytic materials for the conversion of renewable biomass derived feedstocks, abundant natural gas components, and for environmental applications. We combine the preparation of controlled nanomaterials with experimental kinetics studies and in situ characterization of surface species at reaction conditions to gain fundamental knowledge on reaction pathways, mechanism, and catalyst requirements, information required for the development of more active and selective new and improved catalysts.
Main research topis: Advanced Catalyst, Synthesis In Situ Spectroscopy and Spectrokinetics, Reaction Kinetics, Biomass and Alternative Feedstock Conversion, and Fuels and Chemicals
- Mass Transfer, Chemical Engineering Laboratory, Chemical Engineering Kinetics & Reactor Design, Catalysis
- Natural gas
Srinivasan, P. Patil, B. Zhu, H. & Bravo-Suarez, J. J. (2019). Application of Modulation Excitation - Phase Sensitive Detection - DRIFTS for in Situ/Operando Characterization of Heterogeneous Catalysts. Reaction Chemistry & Engineering, 4, 862-883.
Patil, B. Srinivasan, P. Zhu, H. Atchison, E. & Bravo-Suarez, J. J. (2019). Design, Modelling, and Applications of a Low Void-Volume in Situ Diffuse Reflectance Spectroscopic Reaction Cell for Transient Catalytic Studies. Reaction Chemistry & Engineering, 4, 667-678.
Srinivasan, P. Khivantsev, K. Tengco, J. Zhu, H. & Bravo-Suarez, J. J. (2019). Enhanced Ethanol Dehydration on gamma-Al2O3 Supported Cobalt Catalyst. Journal of Catalysis, 373, 276-296.
Bravo Suarez, J. J., & Srinivasan, P. D. (2017). Design Characteristics of in Situ and Operando UV-Visible and Vibrational Spectroscopic Reaction Cells for Heterogeneous Catalysis. Catalysis Reviews Science and Engineering, 57, 295-445. DOI:10.1080/01614940.2017.1360071
Bravo Su�rez, Juan Jos�, (Principal), CAREER: Spectrokinetic Studies for Understanding Metal-Support Interactions in Catalytic Oxidation of Ethanol, 15508, National Science Foundation, $500,000, (08/01/2019 - 07/31/2024). Federal. Status: Funded.
Bravo-Suarez, Juan J., (Co-Principal), In Situ and Operando Spectrokinetic Studies of Tungsten Based Catalysts for Olefin Metathesis, ACS-PRF, $100,000, Submitted 02/20/2015 (09/01/2017 - 12/31/2019). Foundation. Status: Funded.