• Home
  • Admissions
  • Graduate

Graduate Admissions

Link to Graduate Application

Link to Research Page

Prajna Dhar

Prajna Dhar, PhD
Graduate Director


Required Application Documents

All of the following documents must be received by the Department before an application will be sent to the admissions committee for review:

  1. Online Application (follow the link at the top of the page)
  2. Application Fee (this is paid while you are completing the online application)
  3. Curriculum Vitae or Resume
  4. Statement of Purpose (See Note Below)
  5. An electronic copy of an Official Transcript (from each institution of higher education attended)
  6. Three Letters of Recommendation

    *2020 UPDATE* The GRE requirement is being waived for Fall 2021 applications.*

    7. Non-native English speakers must submit either TOEFLIELTS, or PTE exam scores. (Policy)

The following document is required only after a student has been admitted:

  • One (1) Official Transcript and/or degree completion certificate sent directly from the applicant’s university to the University of Kansas (Click HERE for more information)

Additional requirements for Admitted International Students: 

  • Copy of degree/diploma certificates (if applicable) 
  • Financial Statement (departmental funding offer may cover this requirement)

A Special Note about the Statement of Purpose:

While composing your statement of purpose, we strongly encourage you to address the following questions:
1. Describe your most significant engineering related successes.
2. Which research areas are you most interested in, and why?
3. What specifically motivated you to pursue a grad school?
4. What do you hope to accomplish with your graduate degree?

We do not have a specific word count established or a required format for this statement, but to cover these four topics, the final document should be more than one page and less than two full pages. 

A quick note to International Applicants:

There is a US government agency run through the US State Department called EducationUSA that has offices all over the world. If you are new to the US application process, we recommend getting in contact with your local EducationUSA office (LINK). Their advisors can help you prepare your materials and answer many of your questions. 

Admission Statuses:

Regular Status

To qualify for study in any of the graduate programs with regular admission status in the Department of Chemical & Petroleum Engineering, a student generally must have earned an accredited baccalaureate degree and/or master's of science or engineering in chemical or petroleum engineering with a minimum GPA of 3.0 on the US 4.0 scale. Graduate Record Examination scores are required.

Provisional Status

If a domestic applicant has not successfully completed a degree in either Chemical Engineering or Petroleum Engineering, then they can only be considered for Provisional Admission. A student with good preparation in another engineering discipline or a related STEM field, such as physics or chemistry, may qualify for provisional admission while they take the appropriate prerequisite undergraduate courses. These courses are determined in a case-by-case basis by the Department's Graduate Admissions Committee/Director. An applicant may also be admitted as a provisional graduate student when either the quality or type of undergraduate preparation is deficient, i.e., the student's undergraduate grade-point average is below 3.0 on a 4.0 scale or the student has not met the prerequisite undergraduate courses to do graduate work in the department or program to which he or she has applied. Provisional Students are not considered for fully funded positions. After completing the prerequisite courses as a provisional graduate student, the department reviews his or her performance and recommends that the student (1) be transferred to regular status, or (2) be dropped from the Graduate School.  

A note to international applicants who do not qualify for regular admission: Due to new policies released by the Department of Homeland Security in July 2016, universities in the US are no longer allowed to issue I-20 travel documents to provisionally or conditionally admitted students. (NEW REGULATIONS)

A note to Non-native English Speakers:

The following are the acceptable means of verifying English proficiency for purposes of admitting non-native speakers of English. These guidelines also apply to U.S. citizens and permanent residents who are not native speakers of English; they are subject to change by official action of the appropriate governance bodies (Policy Link).

  1. Receipt of an official copy (not student's copy) of an applicant's English proficiency standardized test scores (e.g., TOEFL) achieved not more than two years prior to the semester of first enrollment.
  2. Graduation with a baccalaureate degree (or higher) earned in residence from an accredited English-medium U.S. college, university, or an institution of higher education or such an institution in the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, an English-speaking province of Canada, or an English-speaking Caribbean country, with instruction conducted in English. Degrees earned online may not be used to verify English proficiency.

All students who are not native speakers of English must be screened by the Applied English Center upon arrival, regardless of their TOEFL or other test scores, and according to the Rules and Regulations of the Faculty Senate, such students must enroll in the English courses specified for them by the Applied English Center.


In general, the following minimum guidelines are indicators of potential for success in the program:

  • Clear research interests and goals demonstrated in the statement of purpose
  • 3 letters of recommendation from professors or supervisors who can speak to the research/work abilities of the prospective student
  • Undergraduate GPA of 3.2 or higher (on the US 4.0 scale)
  • TOEFL/IELTS: Composite-90, with no individual section below 20 and preferred scores above 22.

Application Deadlines when applying for the Fall semester

  • December 15 (priority funding)
  • March 1 (final)

Application Deadlines when applying for the Spring semester

  • August 31 (priority funding)
  • September 30 (final)

*GRE Scores *optional*

  • Institution Code – 6871
  • Program Codes – 1001 (Chemical), 1611 (Petroleum)

*TOFEL Scores

  • Institution Code – 6871
  • Program Code – 64

IELTS Scores

  • Email a scanned pdf or image file of the official scorecard to: cpegrad@ku.edu.
  • Please ensure that the Test Report Form Number and Candidate ID are clearly visible.

Upcoming Events and Deadlines

2021 Virtual School of Engineering Recognition Ceremony Set for May 15--- KU Engineering will honor graduates from Summer 2020, Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 with a special video recognition ceremony that will go live on the School of Engineering YouTube channel on Saturday, May 15

Events honoring KU graduates will take place May 16 for the Class of 2021 and May 23 for the Class of 2020 - Learn more @ https://commencement.ku.edu/

Upcoming CPE Graduate Defenses

Link to Seminar Page

Engineering Career Accelerator Lecture Series

School of Engineering Events

KU Calendar