Admission to the KU School of Engineering and its degree programs is competitive. Admission into the KU School of Admission automatically qualifies you entry into the Chemical or Petroleum Engineering programs.
Students may be admitted to an engineering or computer science degree program as freshmen (first year) students, but all admissions, for both in-state and out-of-state students, are selective. Applications are judged on several factors, such as high school record, scores on national tests, academic record at college or university level, and trend of grades and more. High school transcripts and ACT scores (or equivalent SAT scores) are required.
Minimum Academic Standards for Admission
To be considered for admission to the School of Engineering, beginning first-year students must meet or exceed the following minimum standards:
- Have a 3.0 unweighted grade-point average on a 4.0 scale.
- Be in the top 50 percent of the graduating class of an accredited high school or the equivalent.
- Have a mathematics ACT score of 22 (or math SAT score of 540). Five engineering degree programs — architectural engineering, computer engineering, computer science, electrical engineering and interdisciplinary computing — require a minimum math ACT score of 28 before applicants will be considered.
Important: Simply meeting these requirements won't guarantee admission to a School of Engineering degree program. Students who perform beyond these minimums will have a better probability of being admitted.
Transfer Admission Standards
Applications from all transfer students, whether from other institutions or from other academic schools at the University of Kansas, are evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Students must submit mathematics ACT or SAT scores or proof of competence in calculus (grade of C or higher). No upper-level engineering credits from non-ABET-accredited engineering programs are acceptable as transfer credit for engineering programs.
Transfer students must meet the following:
- Be admissible to KU AND
- Earn a cumulative college transferable grade-point average of 2.5+ AND
- Earn grades of "C" or better in math (must include MATH 125 Calculus I or equivalent), science, and engineering applicable to the engineering degree.
Applications from all transfer students, whether from other institutions or from other academic schools at the University of Kansas, are evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Students must also complete their last 30 hours of credit at KU. For more information on transfer credits, see Undergraduate Admissions.
Admission for current KU Students
Students who are currently enrolled at KU, needs to meet the following:
- Earn a 2.5+ KU GPA
- Earn a C or better in MATH 125 or equivalent
- Earn a C or better in all math, science, and/or engineering courses
Current students admitted to other academic units may apply to the School of Engineering by completing a Change of School form. This must be turned in to the School of Engineering Dean's Office by the appropriate deadlines indicated below.
Please contact a member of our recruitment team, 785-864-3881, if you have any difficulty.
Already Applied to KU, But Not Engineering?
Don't worry. It's not too late to change your mind if you’ve already applied to KU and selected a major outside the School of Engineering. If you think one of the 10 engineering or computer science majors is a better fit for your talents, you can still change your requested major — preferably before May 1 — and be considered for admission to the School of Engineering and all the benefits that go with it.
Steps to change your major to engineering or computer science before New Student Orientation:
1. Email the KU Office of Admissions and Scholarships at firstname.lastname@example.org. In the Cc: line of your email, copy the message to study@engineering.
2. In the subject line of your email, enter “ENGINEERING CHANGE OF MAJOR”. This step is very important as it ensures prompt processing and ensures you are considered for all School of Engineering programs and benefits for which you are eligible.
3. In the body of your email, briefly list:
- your name
- your KU ID number
- the original major selected on your KU application, and
- the School of Engineering major you would like to study
4. Send the email.
Please contact Recruiting Team, (785) 864-3402, if you have any difficulty.
Application Deadlines For New Freshman and Transfer Applicants
||Deadline for current KU students to apply for spring admission.
||Final deadline for scholarship consideration for incoming freshmen planning to enter in fall or summer semesters.
||Final deadline for scholarship consideration for incoming transfer students planning to enter in fall or summer semesters.
||Deadline for current KU students to apply for fall admission.
||Enrollment Deposit due.