I received my master’s degree from Indian Institute of Technology (I.I.T), Delhi with a specialization in Polymer Science and Engineering. Becoming the topper of my class, provided me the golden opportunity to secure the reputed DAAD scholarship, where I was able to carry out my master thesis work with renowned scientists at DWI, Aachen, Germany. After my master’s degree, I joined Helmholtz Zentrum Geesthacht, Institute of Biomaterial Sciences, Germany to contribute in the project regarding the surface modification of polyetherimide porous microparticles for the absorption of uremic toxins in renal failure patients. I have been a PhD student at KU since Spring,2016. At this school I found the perfect match of my research interests and the ongoing research projects in Dr. Arghya Paul’s laboratory. I am currently working with Dr. Paul in the field of smart hydrogel materials for tissue engineering and drug delivery applications. My current research interests include nanomaterial reinforced hydrogels, bioprinting, injectable hydrogels. Here at KU, I also got the opportunity to be a graduate teaching assistant for undergraduate Major students of Chemical Engineering. During this phase, I got the chance to independently lead discussion sessions of diverse subjects such as Heat Transfer and Introduction to Chemical engineering. In my first year I received the “School of Engineering” scholarship. My future goals include establishing a career in academics, focusing on material engineering research that includes serving science and mankind. In my free time, I love reading novels, traveling to new places, watching movies.
1. Basu S, Heuchel M, Weigel T, Kratz K, Lendlein A. Integrated process for preparing porous, surface functionalized polyetherimide microparticles. Polym. Adv. Technol. 2015;26(12),1447–1455
2. Kumar RK, Basu S, Lemke HD, Jankowski J, Kratz K, Lendlein A, Tetali SD. Influence of nanoporous poly (ether imide) particle extracts on human aortic endothelial cells (HAECs). Clin Hemorheol Microcirc. 2016;64(4),931-940
3. Kumar RK, Basu S, Lemke HD, Jankowski J, Kratz K, Lendlein A, Tetali SD. Effect of extracts of poly(ether imide) microparticles on cytotoxicity, ROS generation and proinflammatory effects on human monocytic (THP-1) cells. Clin Hemorheol Microcirc. 2016;61(4),667-80
4. Braune S, Basu S, Kratz K, Johansson JB, Reinthaler M, Lendlein A, Jung F. Strategy for the hemocompatibility testing of microparticles. Clin Hemorheol Microcirc. 2016;64(3),345-353
5. Pacelli S, Maloney R, Chakravarti A, Whitlow J, Basu S, Modaresi S, Gehrke S, Paul A. Controlling adult stem cell behavior using nanodiamond-reinforced hydrogel: implication in bone regeneration therapy, Submitted to Scientific reports-Nature publisher, Reference number:SREP-17-03802
6. Pacelli S, Basu S, Whitlow J, Chakravarti A, Acosta F, Modaresi S, Berkland C, Paul A. Strategies for stem cell recruitment for cardiovascular and bone tissue regeneration. Manuscript in preparation.