It's Time for Enrollment Advising!
Advising & Enrollment
Advising Sign Up
All C&PE Faculty Advisors will post their available appointments in MySuccess/Starfish by the middle of this week. Appointment times are expected to start the week of October 11th and run for approximately 3 weeks. After that period all appointments will have to be made via email and will be more difficult to schedule, so don’t delay in setting up your appointment.
Our departmental Advisor, Samantha Raines, is currently only seeing first year students; therefore, students in the sophomore, junior, or senior year of the program, will go to their faculty appointment first and then may choose to make an additional appointment with her after that meeting has taken place and they have selected their courses.
Some of the sophomores may not have had a 4 year plan created for them last year, so those students and Samantha can sit down and do that once the faculty appointments have concluded.
All graduating seniors should be contacted by Samantha via email by October 24th with details about their remaining credits for graduation. If there are questions after that information has been distributed, please contact her with your questions. You can also set up an appointment if necessary.
The Advising Handbook is the best on-line resource for any questions or concerns about the advising process.
Please go to your advising appointment with an initial list of classes in which you plan to enroll and a current DPR Checklist. The faculty member should have access to your 4 year plan and be able to review that with you. You will discuss the classes with your advisor. Make sure you also bring your Enrollment/Advising Course Selection form with you to the appointment.
Beginning September 28th you can go to the link below for the list of spring classes. Students should look for classes to fulfill both their Engineering and General Education requirements. https://classes.ku.edu/Classes/ExternalDisplay.action
Enrollment in Enroll & Pay
Please note that meeting with your advisor does not mean you are “enrolled,” you cannot officially enroll until your enrollment appointment time. Check in the MyKU portal on the Info tab (under your holds and above your photo) for your enrollment date and time. (Example: November 5th at 2 pm.)
Spring 2018 Enrollment time breakdown:
These are the dates when enrollment begins for students.
Please note that the Senior - Freshman classification is by credit hours completed and not by your level in the C&PE program.
Honors students October 19th from 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Athletes October 19th beginning at 5:00 p.m.
Seniors (90+ hrs) October 24th – 25th
Juniors (60-89 hrs) October 27th – 30th
Sophomores (30-59 hrs) November 1st – 3rd
Freshmen (0-29 hrs) November 7th – 10th
Please contact Samantha Raines at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about this process.
Holds that may prevent enrollment
HOLDS will prevent you from enrolling in your classes. All C&PE majors will have an advising hold (EAH). This will prevent students from enrolling until they have advised. The Fall 2017 No Drops Allowed (DRP) Hold will not prevent Spring 2018 enrollment.
Students can find their specific Hold information on their MyKU portal under the Info tab or in their Enroll & Pay account under the Student Center.
What holds might I need to have lifted in order to enroll?
- Advising (EAH) Hold: Take your signed enrollment form from your advising session to the C&PE Office (4132 Learned) to have your Advising HOLD lifted.
- Alcohol Education (ALCH) Hold: Follow the instruction in your MyKU portal or contact staff at Watkins,785-864-9533 for assistance. The first part should be completed early. The second part will not be available until 30 days after the first part has been completed, so do not wait! Details for what is needed can be found at this site http://studenthealth.ku.edu/immunization-compliance
- Final Official Transcript (ADM) Hold: Students that are in their first KU semester from High School may have a hold placed on their account. If you have questions about this hold you may contact the Admissions office, 785-864-3911 or visit their office in the KU Visitor’s Center at 15th and Iowa.
- Immunization (IMM) Hold: Follow the instruction in your MyKU portal or contact staff at Watkins, 785-864-9533 for assistance. Details for what is needed can be found at this site http://studenthealth.ku.edu/immunization-compliance
- Late Fees: Pay online or contact the Bursar’s Office, 785-864- 3322, for assistance. Details can be found at this site https://student-account-services.ku.edu/late-fees
- Mandatory Sexual Harassment Training Hold: Log in to your Blackboard account and find the instructions under your Courses tab. For assistance call 785-864-4653. Details can be found at this site https://sapec.ku.edu/
- Parking (PRK) Hold: Pay online through your MyKU portal (services) or on the parking website http://www.parking.ku.edu/paytix.shtml
The Department does not have the power to lift any of the above mentioned holds beyond the Advising Hold. It is the student’s responsibility to take care of the other holds so they can enroll in a timely manner.
Helpful Tips and Tricks for Advising
How to sign up for an advising appointment
Please log on to your MyKU portal and go to My Success (under the Home Tab), then go through the steps to sign-up for your advising meeting.
You can find your assigned faculty advisor in your MyKU portal in the MyProgress section under the Academics Main Tab and then under the internal Academics Tab under “Contacts For." Below that listing you should see an option to “Make and Advising Appointment."
In Starfish you will have to scroll through the list of people to find your faculty advisor (the search function seems to have glitches) and then you should see the option to schedule a meeting by their name. If you are unable to find your assigned C&PE faculty advisor, please email them to set up your appointment.
First year students should have already signed up with Samantha Raines instead of their faculty advisor for this round of advising.
Classes.ku.edu – You can search for courses offered for the upcoming term. If you use the Options tab you can search for specific KU Core goals, Online courses, Specific dates and times, etc.
KU Core Site – You can search here for KU Core approved courses. However, I still suggest you use the Classes site to find the most recent and available courses.
MyKU Portal Tutorials – Need help navigating your portal pages, this web site has what you need.
Adding classes – For those of you that may need a refresher, here’s how to add classes to your schedule.
My Success Tutorials - Need help using the Starfish scheduling system, this site has what you need.
Schedule Planner Tutorials - Want help picking a schedule that’s right for you, find out how to use the schedule planner here.
You can find all kinds of important resources and forms here».